English language support

​Translating and ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Interpreting Service​​

The Translating and Interpreting Service is a national interpreting service for people who do not speak English and want to access services and information in Australia. Generally, this service is free to non English speakers, as the organisation you wish to contact will accept the charges.  

​A telephone interpreting service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  You can also pre‑book a phone interpreter or book a face to face appointment.

For more information visit the TIS national website.

Adult Migrant English Program

The Commonwealth Government administers the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) which gives eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants who do not have functional English up to 510 hours of free English language classes.

You may be eligible for the AMEP if you are a permanent resident of Australia or hold an eligible temporary visa

In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia:

  • register with an AMEP service provider within six months;

  • commence your classes within 12 months; and

  • complete your classes within five years. 

If you are unable to attend classes, you may also be able to access the AMEP Distance Learning/e-learning program.

For further information visit the Department of Education and Training website.

Skills for Education and Employment program

The Skills for Education and Employment program gives eligible people up to 800 hours of free training to help improve their reading, writing and mathematics skills. 

Visit the Department of Education website for more information.