You usually need qualifications and relevant work experience to find a job in Australia.
You can also get local experience by doing volunteer work or taking on a work placement (often referred to as work experience) in your profession. This will help you build professional contacts and experience the Australian workplace for yourself.
Here are a few tips on improving your prospects.
- Ensure your resume/CV reflects what local employers understand. For example, make sure that any overseas qualifications make sense to Australian employers.
- Register with Australian recruitment services and search online jobs websites like Seek and CareerOne.
- Research the local peak bodies for your industry and get in touch with them. They may be aware of job opportunities or point you in the right direction.
- Research the main local employers in your industry, contact them or see if they advertise vacancies on their websites.
- Find out if your overseas employer has any Australian branches or affiliates for potential transfer opportunities.
- Most of all, be proactive and stay positive!