Construction Project Manager’s Pathway to Australia - Office of Immigration Australia

Construction Project Manager’s Pathway To Australia

Exclusive Australian Immigration News, Updates & Opportunities

Construction Project Manager’s Pathway to PR

Skills Assessment – Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS)
Construction Project Manager Skills Assessment

Construction Project Managers plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the construction of civil engineering projects, buildings and dwellings, and the physical and human resources involved in building and construction.

Skill Level : 1

Construction Project Manager belongs to the occupation unit group of 1331 CONSTRUCTION MANAGERS and is a Skill Level 1 occupation in Australia. In other words, a construction project manager must have a level of skill equivalent with an Australian bachelor degree or higher qualification. (At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification.)

Alternative Titles:
  • Building and Construction Manager.
Skills Assessment Requirement

The Skills Assessment authority for Construction Project Manager is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS).

To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Qualification(s) assessed as equivalent of an Australian Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation
  • At least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

Failure to meet both of these requirements will result in a failed skills assessment.

Highly relevant major fields of study include:
  • Construction Project Management
  • Building Technology or Science
  • Civil Engineering (if civil project)

Majors in other fields such as Architecture could be considered on a case-by-case basis if the course includes the core competencies and employment is in the relevant context.

Project Management degrees without concentration in Built Environment / Construction would not generally be positively assessed for this occupation.

Construction Project Managers typically do the following tasks:
  • interpreting architectural drawings and specifications
  • coordinating labour resources, and procurement and delivery of materials, plant and equipment
  • consulting with Architects, Engineering Professionals and other professionals, and Technical and Trades Workers
  • negotiating with building owners, property developers and subcontractors involved in the construction process to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget
  • preparing tenders and contract bids
  • operating and implementing coordinated work programs for sites
  • ensuring adherence to building legislation and standards of performance, quality, cost and safety
  • arranging submission of plans to local authorities
  • building under contract, or subcontracting specialised building services
  • overseeing the standard and progress of subcontractors’ work
  • arranging building inspections by local authorities
Employment context
Potential PR Pathway
Nearly all of the engineering occupation is on the medium and long-term strategic skills list. This means there are more potential PR visas that you can apply for.
Skilled visas:
Points will be given to you based on the following:
  • Age
  • Educational Qualifications
  • Points for Professional Year
  • Points for NAATI- Credentialled Community Language
  • Points for 2 Year Study
  • Points for English
  • Points for Regional Study
  • Points for Work Experience
  • Points for Specialist Educational Qualifications (STEM)
  • Points for Partner

Categories of acceptable employment contexts include (but are not limited to):

  • Construction Company
  • Property Development Company
  • Project Management Consultancy (construction)
  • Government Authority
How to Apply for your Skills Assessment

• You may obtain further information on how to apply for your ‘Skills Assessment’ via simply clicking on the blue links located on ‘page 8 and 9’ of the APPLICATION GUIDE’ (located in Step 4).

This visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia permanently. It is a points tested visa. The minimum score to apply is 65 points. However, based on the previous round of invitation, you would need to achieve a score of at least 90 points to increase your chance of obtaining an invitation.
Subclass 190 – Skilled Nominated Visa
Similar to the Subclass 189 visa, this visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia permanently too. It is also a points tested visa. The minimum points to be eligible to apply is 65 points. For the subclass 190 visa, you must have a state who is willing to nominate you. States have their own occupation list. If registered nurse is on the state occupation list and you meet all the state’s eligibility criteria, you can apply to the state to nominate you.
Subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
Although this visa is not permanent. It can lead to a permanent visa (Subclass 191 – Skilled Regional Visa). The Subclass 491 visa allows you to live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia. It is also a points tested visa. The minimum points to be eligible to apply is 65 points. Another criterion of this visa is that you are nominated by a state or sponsored by an eligible relative. To be nominated by the state, you must check the state’s occupation list and meet all the state’s requirements. To be sponsored by your eligible relative, your relative must be a usual resident in a designated regional area of Australia.
Employer Sponsored Visas:
Subclass 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional Visa)
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
Subclass 191 -Permanent Residence Skilled Regional Visa
This visa will come into effect on 16 November 2022. It is for people who holds a Subclass 491 visa or Subclass 494 visa who have lived, worked or studied in the designated regional area for at least 3 years with a taxable income at or above $53,900. This visa will allow you to live work and study in Australia permanently.
Subclass 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme Visa
If you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, you may be eligible for a Subclass 186 visa. This visa is permanent and will allow you to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely. To be eligible for this visa, you need to have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and a positive skills assessment. Alternatively, if you are a holder of a Subclass 457 or TSS visa, you can apply for Subclass 186 after working for your employer for at least 3 years.