Importing goods and pets

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Customs clearance and items to declare

If you have any questions about Australian C​ustoms​ and what you can and can’t bring into Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs​​.


When you arrive in Australia, you are required to have the following documents ready for Customs clearance before you can collect your baggage:

  • passport; 

  • incoming passenger card; and

  • boarding pass.


You should bring with you essential medicines for any existing medical conditions. Medicines you bring into or take out of Australia may be subject to import and/or export controls. The requirements may change so you should check the conditions for the importation of medicines before you enter Australia. ​

For more information, contact:

Department of Health
Therapeutic Goods Administration​

T: 1800 020 653 (from within Australia) or
     + 61 2 6232 8644 (from outside Australia)

E: info@tga.gov.au​

​W: tga.gov.au​ ​


Do not carry illicit drugs. Penalties for drug offences in Australia are severe.

Duty free shopping a​nd allowance

When you arrive at the International Airport, you will find duty free shops between disembarkation and Customs and Immigration processing. These shops can sell only​ a limited range and quantity of duty and tax-free goods per person. For example, you can buy:

  • alcohol (2.25 litres);

  • confectionery;

  • cosmetics;

  • perfume;

  • photographic film; and

  • tobacco (50 grams of tobacco or 50 cigarettes).​

General goods

If you are 18 years or over, you can bring up to $900 worth of general goods into Australia duty free. If you are under 18 years of age, there is a $450 limit. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment.

Unaccompanied personal effects

Unaccompanied baggage does not receive the same duty/tax concessions as goods you bring with you. These goods may be subject to duty/tax unless you have both owned and used them for 12 months or more. This also applies to articles posted to Australia. 

Visit the Department of Home Affairs website​ for more information. 

Household goods

You are able to bring household goods to WA, including:

  • crockery;

  • cutlery;

  • furnishings (curtains, rugs, carpets);

  • furniture; and

  • linen.

If you are planning to bring electrical appliances (eg MP3 players, hairdryers and televisions), you will need to make sure they are compatible with the Australian electrical system – 240V with a three-pin plug. ​

Appliances from the United Kingdom and continental Europe should work with an adaptor, but it is advisable to check with a manufacturer or an electrician. You can buy a 240V–​110V step down voltage converter or a three-pin plug adaptor from hardware stores and supermarkets.

Transporting your household goods

Do your research to determine if it is cost effective to bring your household items with you to Australia. Source quotes from various freight companies and ensure you take careful note of what is included in each quotation (eg packing, transportation, customs clearance, unpacking and disposal of materials).

Contact the Australian International Movers Association (AIMA) for more information:

​​Australian International Movers Association

T: +61 2 9659 4299 (from outside Australia)

E: admin@aima.com.au​

W: aima.com.au​ 

Importing domestic pets

Conditions for importing pets vary depending on their country of origin. This may include pre-export treatment by veterinarians and periods of quarantine. 

Visit the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website​ for more information: 

T: +61 3 8313 6700 (from outside Australia)

Freecall​: 1800 900 090 (from within Australia)